Workshop Preservation of Media Art
This workshop invites conservators and registrars working with media artworks in museums to gain an understanding of the different components involved in documenting and preserving media artworks for the sake of preservation and future presentations.
Museums see themselves increasingly confronted with the questions and challenges related to displaying and preserving media art and digital art. These artworks rely on their technological environment, and this is constantly changing. Artworks adapt or perish. Sustaining these works requires new strategies. How will we keep these artworks alive and accessible in the future? Not all collections have much experience in dealing with these type of artworks. What new strategies do we need? How to develop knowledge on this particular part of contemporary art. During a week, professionals from all over the world will address these questions and be able to catch up on technological, conceptual and art historical aspects of media art preservation. We will share our practice, experience, views and results with museum professionals working in the fields of media art and digital art. Practical protocols for decision making and documentation, workflows for sustainable storage, models for artists interviews and contracts will be explored. We invite participants to prepare, share and work on an actual case study. The program consists of lectures, workshops, artists talks, museum visits and will give the opportunity to catch up with your network or start building one regarding the conservation of media art. The focus of the workshop will be fine-tuned depending on the cases participants bring in.
The participation fee is 1000,- euro, the number of participants is limited (8), language is English. Please describe the case study from your collection while applying. Registration deadline is March 1, 2018.
Please register by emailing your information (name, institution, speciality, and a short description of the case study you want to discuss) to LIMA director Gaby Wijers, email@example.com.
Payment is by invoice and needs to be completed prior to the start of the workshop.
The workshop will take place at LIMA, Arie Biemondstraat 111, 1054 PD Amsterdam.
March 26, 2018 11:00-18:00
– introduction group, program, lectures, lecturers and LIMA by Gaby Wijers
– introduction into media art history, techniques and general workflow by Sanneke Huisman and Gaby Wijers
– how to go along; lecture and discussion into collection inventory protocols and identifying individual works Gaby Wijers, Mila van der Weide and Wiel Seuskens.
March 27, 2018 10:00 – 18:00
– visiting museum/exhibition tour behind the scenes
– lectures and practices on video art and installation art technology by Ramon Coelho/Ivo van Stiphout
– lecture and discussion on decision-making model and documentation – introducing examples from the participants
March 28, 2018 10:00 – 18:00
– working on the case studies
– lecture and discussion on preservation strategies: storage, migration, emulation, reinterpretation
– lecture and discussions on acquisition and contracts by Gaby Wijers
– artist interview training
March 29, 2018 10:00 – 18:00
– working on the case studies, what are the questions
– artist talk
– meet and greet with Dutch professionals
March 30, 2018 10:00– 15:00
– working on the case studies
– presenting preservation plan per case study
In the past years, LIMA Amsterdam shared her expertise on media art preservation with collections and artists by lectures, small workshops, projects, publications and the annual symposium ‘Transformation Digital Art’ (march 22-23 2018). As of March 26 to 30, 2018, LIMA will expand her training possibilities of practical and theoretical preservation in media art and meet worldwide requests by organizing a one week workshop regarding the conservation of media art.